Empowering Resources for Persons of ALL Ages with Autismadministrator
We believe that the right tools, strategies and resources can significantly improve one’s reading and learning success, especially when reading and learning can be difficult for someone with ADHD, dyslexia and other issues.
If you or someone you know is challenged with autism, however, the importance of those tools, strategies and resources may be even more important in efforts to improve the quality of life. You may already know about the low-tech and digital Reading Focus Cards, effective tools that help challenged, unfocused readers with autism and sensory issues. We also provide a FREE list of reading and learning strategies and accommodations to help persons of any age with autism. The list can be found on this website.For this article, we wanted to address the third component—resources that can actually help to EMPOWER persons with autism to become more confident, more socially interactive and better able to overcome their obstacles. In our efforts to write this article, we have received the assistance of Ms. Kathleen Carter, a high-school student with Asperger’s (autism) and volunteer-intern-extraordinaire at EducatorLabs. She assists the organization with its research and outreach activities.
Ms. Carter has kindly provided the first six empowering resources in our list included here. We want to thank her for these good resources for autism. We have added a few more links to the list and hope that because of our combined efforts, these resources may help you or others you know in the autism community to feel empowered to become more confident, more comfortable in social situations and more independent in overcoming the challenges of autism—each and every day!
Empowering Resources for Persons with Autism
1. Autism Speaks Resource Guide
2. Career Assistance for People with Autism
3. National Center for Autism Resources & Education
4. AutismNOW Transition Planning
5. Aquatic Therapy for Children with Autism
6. Equine Therapy Programs for Children with Asperger’s and Autism
7. Autism Resources from Easter Seals
8. Family Grant Opportunities (for Therapy, Assistive Technology, etc.)
9. Resources – Solutions to Problems in the Autism Community—US Autism & Asperger Association
10. BEST Apps for Sensory Processing Issues (iPad, Android and Desktop Apps)
11. BEST Apps for Autism (iPad, Android and Desktop Apps)